Green Button provides a unified, industry-standard data format, which can be used to analyze and manage a consumer’s energy usage. The introduction of Green Button industry-standard data across Ontario utilities will provide the foundation for the development of new tools and applications for customers to analyze and monitor their energy usage to reduce costs.
Below are just a few of the benefits of Green Button data:
- Improve energy efficiency – Consumers can use Green Button data to identify and compare their energy usage in order to improve energy-efficiency within their home or business.
- Reduce energy costs – By learning their usage patterns and habits, consumers can make informed choices about how much energy they use and when they use it. When consumers use energy during off-peak hours (also known as peak-shaving) and invest in energy-efficient appliances, it saves money and can help reduce strain on the grid.
- Energy conservation – consumers can use their data to conserve energy to help reduce their carbon footprint and protect the environment.
Green button tools to understand large volumes of energy data will help pave the way for future innovations in the energy sector.
Green Button Data for Residential and Small Commercial Customers:
- Many customers are already viewing their energy data through a customer portal on their utility website. With Green Button, third party apps can analyze the data and provide insights to help customers make sense of their energy use and make informed decisions to help reduce costs.
- With CMD, data is shared on an ongoing basis. This allows third parties to provide insights and alerts on usage trends and changes.
Green Button Data for Businesses:
- For customers with a large number of properties across multiple utilities, Green Button provides a standardized format so that the data they receive from each utility is in a similar format. Green Button third parties in the commercial sector are able to analyze large volumes of data across multiple facilities to provide energy management advice.
- With CMD, data is shared on an ongoing basis. This allows third parties to provide insights and alerts on usage trends and changes including monitoring the impact of energy efficiency measures taken.
- Green Button will also make it easier for facilities to complete mandatory government reporting requirements.